BAKED AVOCADO AND EGGS
Though this blog has been mostly about cakes, I am hoping at some point to morph it into a food blog.
That being said, I am going to post my first savoury dish here.
Funny that I am posting an avocado recipe since, we are just not huge avocado fans in this house. Although it is very bad publicity for the recipe, the kids absolutely refused to eat it, which is disappointing because I am forever trying to feed them more fruits and veg. I am not ready to give up on the avocados yet, and am on the lookout of recipes the entire family will eat. But for now, here is how I made this recipe.
1 ripe avocado
Salt and pepper
Olive oil for drizzling
- Wash the avocado.
- Cut in half, remove the pit and place in individual baking dishes/ramekins.
- Break an egg in a saucer, and gently slide in the centre of the pitted avocado. One whole egg won’t fit. Gently scoop some avocado out with a teaspoon if you want to fit more egg.
- Do the same with the other half of the avocado.
- Bake in a preheated oven till eggs are done. The temperature, times aren’t too strict. A moderately hot oven is good.
- Drizzle with great quality olive oil and sprinkle salt and pepper before serving. Serve with a few lemon wedges.
NOTE: I used a big Pyrex dish instead of individual ramekins. Though they baked but it was a messy decision. Lots of egg swished around and spilled when I put the dish in the oven. What would have been a very easy way to bake using ramekin, ended up as a messy balancing act in the Pyrex dish. So my recommendation, use small individual dishes to bake the avocados!
This dish is best eaten warm and fresh. Left overs do not taste nice.
It is normally suggested as a breakfast idea, we had it as part of lunch with some rice.